APO-CICLOPIROX, 8% w/w, nail lacquer is used to treat fungal infections of the nails. The active ingredient ciclopirox penetrates the nail plate to reach the fungal pathogen. Ciclopirox has a fungicidal action against all relevant pathogens responsible for fungal infections of the nails.
PRECAUTIONS:Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you:
- Before starting treatment, remove any loose nail or nail pieces using nail clippers or nail files. If you have diabetes or problems with numbness in your toes or fingers, talk to your doctor before trimming your nails or removing any nail pieces.
- Apply APO-CICLOPIROX every other day (bedtime is best) to all affected nails with the applicator brush provided. Application may be reduced to not less than twice weekly in the second month of treatment and to once weekly from the third month of treatment onwards. Apply APO-CICLOPIROX evenly over the entire nail and the skin right around the nail. Where possible, APO-CICLOPIROX should also be put on the bottom side of the nail and the skin beneath it. Let APO-CICLOPIROX dry (about 30 seconds) before putting on socks or stockings. After putting on APO-CICLOPIROX, wait 8 hours before taking a bath or shower. When you are finished putting APO-CICLOPIROX on your nail(s), put the brush back into the bottle and close the cap tightly. Avoid getting the brush dirty. Keep the tightly closed bottle in its carton.
- Apply APO-CICLOPIROX over the previous coat.
- Once a week (every 7 days), remove APO-CICLOPIROX with commercial nail polish remover. Remove as much as possible of the damaged nail using scissors, nail clippers, or nail file.
- Repeat process (steps 2 through 4).
- Are pregnant or breast-feeding a baby,
- Are a diabetic who needs insulin injections or has diabetic neuropathy (nerve damage caused by diabetes),
- Have a history of immunosuppression (e.g., are currently taking oral corticosteriods, have repeated or long-lasting shingles (herpes zoster), have oral or genital herpes (herpes simplex),
- Are immunocompromised (e.g., received an organ transplant, or are HIV positive),
- Need medicine to control epilepsy,
- Use or require topical corticosteroids every month,
- Use steroid inhalers on a regular basis.
CONTRAINDICATIONS: Due to lack of clinical data APO-CICLOPIROX should not be used in children.
APO-CICLOPIROX is for topical use only. NOT TO BE TAKEN, Not for use in eyes, Not for vaginal use.
INGREDIENTS: Each gramme of APO-CICLOPIROX nail lacquer contains, as active ingredient, 80mg ciclopirox. Also contains Ethyl Acetate, Gantrez ES-435 and Isopropyl Alcohol.