) is an antidepressant belonging to the class of
drugs called norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitors
(NDRIs). Though also effective at treating depression, Zyban
tablets are most frequently prescribed to help patients stop
Unlike most other smoking cessation treatments, this product does
not contain nicotine. Instead it works by minimizing the intensity
of cravings and withdrawal symptoms. Additionally Zyban tablets
have two distinct advantages over similar products:
Helping Smokers Quit:
- Unlike most other antidepressants, Zyban tablets don't cause
weight gain. In fact, most users lose a moderate amount of weight
- Many antidepressants cause sexual side effects, such as
erectile dysfunction or loss of sex drive. Zyban tablets do not
interfere with sexual function, and there is some evidence libido
actually increases during use.
Most quitting aids contain nicotine; while that may help break the
habit of going through the motions of smoking, for many patients it
does little to break the physical addiction to nicotine.
Additionally, many smokers can't resist the occasional cigarette
during treatment, greatly increasing the risk of nicotine
Zyban takes a different approach; by curbing the desire for
nicotine and reducing the severity of cravings, smokers gradually
smoke less until losing interest altogether. It is safe to smoke or
use nicotine replacement therapies during treatment with this
- 1 tablet is taken twice daily, at least 8 hours apart.
- Do not split or crush Zyban tablets. They should be swallowed
- If nausea occurs after taking a dose, eat a snack or light meal
with each tablet.
- Gradually decrease the number of cigarettes over the first week
or two of treatment.
- Continue treatment for up to 8 weeks if needed to curb
Trials indicate Zyban tablets help smokers quit with about 58% more
success than relying on willpower alone. If smoking is not stopped
or considerably reduced after 8 weeks of Zyban use, an alternative
therapy should be tried. There are many other methods which may be
more effective for some individuals.
The active ingredient in Zyban tablets, bupropion, increases the
concentration of dopamine in emotional regions of the brain, which
produces feelings of happiness. In plain English, it puts users in
a good mood. Though not necessarily approved uses in all countries,
this antidepressant is also effective in treatment of:
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Methamphetamine withdrawal
- Bipolar disorder
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Social anxiety disorder
Dosage and duration of treatment will vary depending on the
condition being treated.
Zyban is a powerful medication and should be used with caution. If
abused it can produce dangerous, even deadly side effects:
- As with most mood-enhancing medications, it may be
- Zyban tablets should not be given to children under any
circumstances without explicit physician approval.
- Patients with a history of seizures, or taking medications to
suppress seizures, may experience severe side effects.
- Patients with a history of heart attack, liver, kidney, or
heart disease, and high blood pressure may require adjusted dosage
strengths for safe use.
- It should not be used within 14 days of quitting alcohol,
sedatives such as Valium, or taking a monoamine oxidase (MAO)
- Do not take with other antidepressants or take more than
prescribed dose; doing so may cause seizures.
There are a number of less severe side effects associated with
Zyban use. Patients should read the leaflet included with the
medication, or speak to a pharmacist or doctor, for more detailed
information before taking Zyban Tablets.
Though unusual, there is some evidence that Zyban tablets may cause
a false positive for amphetamine or methamphetamine on some types
of drug tests. Be sure to inform appropriate parties of all
medications being taken before submitting to a drug test.