(zolmitriptan) is used to treat migraine headaches and accompanying
symptoms, such as auras. Less frequently it may be used to combat
cluster headache pain.
Zomig ODT, or orally dissolving tablets, offer a method of
administration for patients who are unable or unwilling to swallow
- Patients with difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)
- Patients unable to follow instructions
- Patients unable to consume solids
- Uncooperative Patients
- Personal preference
Additionally, Zomig ODT is slightly faster-acting than regular tablets
, though not quite
as fast as Zomig
Combating Migraines with Zomig ODT:
Zomig is an abortive treatment, which means it will stop a headache
in progress. It will not prevent a migraine from happening if taken
before symptoms start, and it will not reduce the frequency which
with they occur.
Dosage strength may vary by patient. In the vast majority of cases,
one dose is 2.5 mg or 5 mg. Administration is simple, and should be
done at the earliest symptoms of a migraine:
- Remove a Zomig ODT from the blister pack. Do not remove the
foil until a tablet is needed; it will absorb moisture from the air
and be ruined.
- Place the tablet in the mouth; it will begin dissolving
immediately. Do not chew the tablet.
- Small sips of a drink will aid with dissolving, but the tablet
should not be swallowed whole.
- Effects should be felt after 15 to 20 minutes (compared to 30
minutes for regular tablets). Effects peak after 2 hours.
- If the migraine isn't gone, or returns, after 2 hours, an
additional dose may be taken.
- Do not exceed 10 mg of Zomig in 24 hours.
- Do not use multiple migraine treatments at the same time
without explicit instruction to do so by a physician; dangerous
side effects may result.
Though Zomig is effective at treating migraines for most patients,
some individuals may not respond to this particular medication.
It's worth looking into other treatments if this is the case; there
are many similar medications out there which may provide more
Using Zomig ODT for Other Headaches:
Zomig works by constricting swollen blood vessels in the head,
which put pressure on the brain and cause pain and other symptoms.
Headache pain from other causes will not be helped from treatment
with Zomig; it might reduce pain slightly, but probably not as well
as non-prescription ibuprofen or aspirin.
take Zomig ODT to treat:
- Hemiplegic migraines
- Basilar migraines
- Tension headaches
- Sinus headaches
- Rebound headaches
- Headaches caused by injury
The one exception is cluster headaches. Many cluster headache
sufferers are aware that triptan medications like Zomig are among
the few treatments that mitigates the severe pain associated with
this type of headache. Zomig ODT is somewhat effective; better than
regular tablets, but not quite as fast and powerful as Zomig Nasal Spray
Use is much the same as migraine treatment:
- Take 1 dose as soon as symptoms begin.
- Allow the tablet to dissolve fully in the mouth; do not chew or
swallow it whole.
- Relief should begin in 15 to 20 minutes.
- If pain persists, another dose may be taken after 2 hours.
- Do not exceed 10 mg in 24 hours.
Most cluster headache sufferers have the best results with triptan
injections, such as Imitrex
Use of Zomig ODT for cluster headache treatment is not authorized
in all locations. Clients are responsible for complying with local
Warnings & Side Effects:
With proper use of Zomig ODT, side effects are unusual and most are
less severe than the suffering produced by a headache:
- Mild dizziness
Patients with certain preexisting conditions are at higher risk of
developing dangerous adverse reactions:
- History of liver, kidney, or heart disease
- Blood circulation problems
- Recent heart attack or stroke
- Very high blood pressure
Women who are pregnant or breast-feeding should use Zomig ODT only
after discussing possible risks with a doctor.