) is an antidepressant belonging to the class of drugs called norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitors (NDRIs). Though also effective at treating depression, Zyban tablets are most frequently prescribed to help patients stop smoking.
Unlike most other smoking cessation treatments, this product does not contain nicotine. Instead it works by minimizing the intensity of cravings and withdrawal symptoms. Additionally Zyban tablets have two distinct advantages over similar products:
Helping Smokers Quit:
- Unlike most other antidepressants, Zyban tablets don't cause weight gain. In fact, most users lose a moderate amount of weight during treatment.
- Many antidepressants cause sexual side effects, such as erectile dysfunction or loss of sex drive. Zyban tablets do not interfere with sexual function, and there is some evidence libido actually increases during use.
Most quitting aids contain nicotine; while that may help break the habit of going through the motions of smoking, for many patients it does little to break the physical addiction to nicotine. Additionally, many smokers can't resist the occasional cigarette during treatment, greatly increasing the risk of nicotine overdose.
Zyban takes a different approach; by curbing the desire for nicotine and reducing the severity of cravings, smokers gradually smoke less until losing interest altogether. It is safe to smoke or use nicotine replacement therapies during treatment with this medication:
- 1 tablet is taken twice daily, at least 8 hours apart.
- Do not split or crush Zyban tablets. They should be swallowed whole.
- If nausea occurs after taking a dose, eat a snack or light meal with each tablet.
- Gradually decrease the number of cigarettes over the first week or two of treatment.
- Continue treatment for up to 8 weeks if needed to curb cravings.
Trials indicate Zyban tablets help smokers quit with about 58% more success than relying on willpower alone. If smoking is not stopped or considerably reduced after 8 weeks of Zyban use, an alternative therapy should be tried. There are many other methods which may be more effective for some individuals.Other Uses:
The active ingredient in Zyban tablets, bupropion, increases the concentration of dopamine in emotional regions of the brain, which produces feelings of happiness. In plain English, it puts users in a good mood. Though not necessarily approved uses in all countries, this antidepressant is also effective in treatment of:
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Methamphetamine withdrawal
- Bipolar disorder
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Social anxiety disorder
Dosage and duration of treatment will vary depending on the condition being treated.
Zyban is a powerful medication and should be used with caution. If abused it can produce dangerous, even deadly side effects:
- As with most mood-enhancing medications, it may be addictive.
- Zyban tablets should not be given to children under any circumstances without explicit physician approval.
- Patients with a history of seizures, or taking medications to suppress seizures, may experience severe side effects.
- Patients with a history of heart attack, liver, kidney, or heart disease, and high blood pressure may require adjusted dosage strengths for safe use.
- It should not be used within 14 days of quitting alcohol, sedatives such as Valium, or taking a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor.
- Do not take with other antidepressants or take more than prescribed dose; doing so may cause seizures.
There are a number of less severe side effects associated with Zyban use. Patients should read the leaflet included with the medication, or speak to a pharmacist or doctor, for more detailed information before taking Zyban Tablets.
Though unusual, there is some evidence that Zyban tablets may cause a false positive for amphetamine or methamphetamine on some types of drug tests. Be sure to inform appropriate parties of all medications being taken before submitting to a drug test.