Zomig (zolmitriptan) is used to treat migraine headaches and accompanying symptoms, such as auras. Less frequently it may be used to combat cluster headache pain.
Zomig ODT, or orally dissolving tablets, offer a method of administration for patients who are unable or unwilling to swallow regular tablets:
- Patients with difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)
- Patients unable to follow instructions
- Patients unable to consume solids
- Uncooperative Patients
- Personal preference
Additionally, Zomig ODT is slightly faster-acting than regular tablets
, though not quite as fast as Zomig Nasal Spray
.Combating Migraines with Zomig ODT:
Zomig is an abortive treatment, which means it will stop a headache in progress. It will not prevent a migraine from happening if taken before symptoms start, and it will not reduce the frequency which with they occur.
Dosage strength may vary by patient. In the vast majority of cases, one dose is 2.5 mg or 5 mg. Administration is simple, and should be done at the earliest symptoms of a migraine:
- Remove a Zomig ODT from the blister pack. Do not remove the foil until a tablet is needed; it will absorb moisture from the air and be ruined.
- Place the tablet in the mouth; it will begin dissolving immediately. Do not chew the tablet.
- Small sips of a drink will aid with dissolving, but the tablet should not be swallowed whole.
- Effects should be felt after 15 to 20 minutes (compared to 30 minutes for regular tablets). Effects peak after 2 hours.
- If the migraine isn't gone, or returns, after 2 hours, an additional dose may be taken.
- Do not exceed 10 mg of Zomig in 24 hours.
- Do not use multiple migraine treatments at the same time without explicit instruction to do so by a physician; dangerous side effects may result.
Though Zomig is effective at treating migraines for most patients, some individuals may not respond to this particular medication. It's worth looking into other treatments if this is the case; there are many similar medications out there which may provide more effective relief.Using Zomig ODT for Other Headaches:
Zomig works by constricting swollen blood vessels in the head, which put pressure on the brain and cause pain and other symptoms. Headache pain from other causes will not be helped from treatment with Zomig; it might reduce pain slightly, but probably not as well as non-prescription ibuprofen or aspirin.
take Zomig ODT to treat:
- Hemiplegic migraines
- Basilar migraines
- Tension headaches
- Sinus headaches
- Rebound headaches
- Headaches caused by injury
The one exception is cluster headaches. Many cluster headache sufferers are aware that triptan medications like Zomig are among the few treatments that mitigates the severe pain associated with this type of headache. Zomig ODT is somewhat effective; better than regular tablets, but not quite as fast and powerful as Zomig Nasal Spray
Use is much the same as migraine treatment:
- Take 1 dose as soon as symptoms begin.
- Allow the tablet to dissolve fully in the mouth; do not chew or swallow it whole.
- Relief should begin in 15 to 20 minutes.
- If pain persists, another dose may be taken after 2 hours.
- Do not exceed 10 mg in 24 hours.
Most cluster headache sufferers have the best results with triptan injections, such as Imitrex
Use of Zomig ODT for cluster headache treatment is not authorized in all locations. Clients are responsible for complying with local laws.Warnings & Side Effects:
With proper use of Zomig ODT, side effects are unusual and most are less severe than the suffering produced by a headache:
- Mild dizziness
Patients with certain preexisting conditions are at higher risk of developing dangerous adverse reactions:
- History of liver, kidney, or heart disease
- Blood circulation problems
- Recent heart attack or stroke
- Very high blood pressure
Women who are pregnant or breast-feeding should use Zomig ODT only after discussing possible risks with a doctor.